Please read this entire page before continuing to our booking request form below!
Welcome to the Firestorm Community Space!
The Firestorm Community Space is available for meetings, classes, workshops, fundraisers, author events (please read Authors and Readings below), activist report-backs and presentations, film screenings, music (please read Bands and Other Performances below), and most anything else you can dream up to enlighten, empower and entertain our community!
Events are free to the public, but hosts may "pass the hat" or ask for a suggested donation. In certain circumstances, we can make the space available for events that charge a cover/entrance fee. Any such commercial event is subject to a 25% space use fee (fundraisers are exempt).
Firestorm operates this free community resource because we believe that people should have access to space for organizing, socializing, and self-expression, regardless of whether they are able to pay for it. This is a fundamental value held by our Collective, as we seek a world of strong communities and decentralized power.
As a worker-owned cooperative business that has a bottom line and an anarchist project rooted in principles of mutual aid rather than charity, we also value the desire and ability of our community to support US! We ask that folks using our community space patronize our bookstore when they are able, and that event hosts encourage their attendees to do so. And if you want to throw a little extra love Firestorm's way by passing the hat for us at your meeting or event, we deeply appreciate any contributions your group is able to make in order to keep this free community space free and thriving for years to come!
Details coming soon...
As an independent bookstore with a radical mission, Firestorm hosts author events that showcase the work of underrepresented voices. We have found that book readings, signings, and discussions that do not fit our established niche often fail to draw a satisfactory audience. For this reason we will only book an author if they meet one of the following criteria:
- Author is local
- Author writes from their perspective as an LGBTQ+ person
- Author writes from their perspective as a person of color
- Author writes nonfiction on an anarchist, feminist, liberationist, or leftist subject
Space & Equipment
- Capacity is comfortable at 20, cozy at 25, and above that will require some folks to stand, or event hosts to provide additional seating for spillover
- Use at no cost of three large folding tables with black tablecloths; two small folding tables; chairs
- Space is separated from main retail area by a heavy curtain that is NOT soundproof--please consider if this meets your need for privacy/quiet
- A/V equipment use at no cost: digital projector and screen; four-channel PA system and speakers; 2 microphones and mic stands
Please understand that Firestorm's capacity to promote your event is minimal; hosts should vigorously promote their own events to ensure good turnout! Promotional best practices we strongly suggest:
- Place a free listing in The Mountain Xpress
- Create and share a Facebook/social media event
- Create a physical flyer to hang around town
- Use targeted email/listserve engagement of relevant social and professional networks to generate interest
- Depending on the nature of the event, hosts might want to write and circulate a press release.
Firestorm will assist with promotion by including the event on our online and in-store calendars, linking to your Facebook event on our page, and prominently displaying event flyers in our space!
Event Booking Process
Step 1: Determine the best day and time for your event
We host events during normal business hours (10am-8pm, every day of the week), and occasionally after-hours.
Check our online calendar of events to see which dates and times are available (please note that an open spot on the online calendar does not ensure availability, but it's a good place to start!). Events that are public should be booked well in advance, ideally for the following month, to allow sufficient time for promotion and inclusion on our monthly event calendars.
Step 2: Submit a booking request form
Fill out a booking form at www.firestorm.coop/booking.html
Step 3: Receive confirmation of your event
Event hosts will typically receive a response to their booking request in about one week. If you have not received a response within one week and would like to check on the status of your event, call the store at 828 255 8115 or email email@example.com to follow up.
Please note that our collective reviews all booking requests to determine that events are appropriate for our physical space and in keeping with our goals as a project. If concerns exist we will work to resolve them whenever possible, but our collective makes the final decision on whether or not to accept event requests.
Step 4: Get ready for a great event!
Get into promo-mode! Send your event flyer to our Community Events Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), share your social media event page with us, and keep in touch about any changes to your event that might arise!